Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 136 release

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 15:34, Marco d'Itri <md@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 07, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> To support some advanced features, Linux 2.6.22 is the oldest supported
>> version now. The kernel config with enabled SYSFS_DEPRECATED is no longer
>> supported. Older kernels should still work, and devices nodes should be
>> reliably created, but some rules and libudev will not work correctly because
>> the old kernels do not provide the expected information or interfaces.
> Knowing that something unspecified may or may not work is not really
> helpful.

We don't know exactly what may fail, nobody tests almost two years old
kernels with a new udev. That's why we mention that such old kernels
should not be used. The basic operations should still be fine that old
stuff.

Stuff that is known not to work are the device-mapper and md rules,
cdrom_id properties, media change events, matches on DEVTYPE,
libudev's functions to retrieve properties, things that need the
"uevent" file.

The current rules use all that, it will not work correctly, and we
mark it as unsupported. That's all.

Kay