Re: Moving Ubuntu to upstream udev rules

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:39, Scott James Remnant <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 17:03 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

>> > rtc
>> >
>> >   our rtc rules are more careful about only symlinking the CMOS
>> >   to /dev/rtc:
>> >
>> >     SUBSYSTEM=="rtc", DRIVERS=="rtc_cmos", SYMLINK+="rtc"
>>
>> Sounds fine if we do not want that for other drivers? It's only
>> compatibility for old x86 behavior?
>>
> As far as I know, I talked with the upstream about it for a while before
> adding the rule.

Fine. I've added this already.

>> > raw1394
>> >
>> >   This should be in the "disk" group, not the "video" group; it can be
>> >   used to execute code as root
>>
>> It may not belong into be in the "video" group, but you definitely also
>> don't want to put anybody in the "disk" group to access it, it's almost
>> the same as being root. We can leave it as root, if we need to change it
>> for security measures.
>>
>> You can not execute code on the host, only on a device, which may be
>> another box connected over firewire, right?
>>
> Loopback cable?  This is something our security guy and kernel
> maintainer (who is the upstream maintainer of the old firewire system)
> felt strongly about -- obviously new firewire stack is much better
> anyway.

It's hard to find a box with a single firewire controller. :)
Removed the group, it's root now.

>> >   you also don't rename some devices, and thus disagree
>> >
>> >     KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
>> >     KERNEL=="hwC[D0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
>> >     KERNEL=="midiC[D0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
>> >     KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", NAME="snd/%k"
>> >     KERNEL=="seq", NAME="snd/%k"
>> >     KERNEL=="timer", NAME="snd/%k"
>>
>> That's in packages/40-alsa.rules. We do not carry it in the default udev
>> rules, but in the alsa package.
>>
> These aren't installed by default, right?  If we're all using the same
> rules, is there any reason not to?

There are many other alsa rules for loading "soundfonts" and such, so
we moved these ones to the alsa package too.

>> > symlinks
>> >
>> >   you have lots of extra symlinks, any particular reason?  are you paid
>> >   by the symlink? :p
>> >
>> >     X0R -> null             ??!! WTF
>>
>> It's in devices.txt. :) Harald wanted it. :)
>>
> I'm ok with it if it's in devices.txt :p

It's gone. Forget devices.txt, nobody maintains this thing anymore.

>> >     vbi -> vbi0
>> >     radio -> radio0
>> >     video -> video0
>>
>> That is needed for some old tools. People have complained.
>>
> We've not had these, and nobody complains too loudly ;)  I want to avoid
> adding legacy symlinks to our config if I can help it, because people
> then will complain if they go away again later :p

Ok, we will see. They are all gone now. I agree, in most cases the
tools should be changed, or people should use their own rules.

>> >   no /dev/pilot? :)
>>
>> No, that doesn't work reliably, you never know which port is the right
>> one. It can not be done with udev today, only with a specific
>> vendor/device list match.
>>
> See vbi, radio, video, etc. above :p  you can't have them and complain
> about this ;)  I'd rather have none of them, and leave legacy/deprecated
> symlinks to distro-specific rules.

Yeah, but vbi, radio, video was not wrong, did never point to a device
which actually is not a vbi, radio, video device. For half of the
devices, /dev/pilot pointed to a device which did not give access to
the pilot. :)

>> >   tty               620     instead of 600? your ttys are writable?
>>
>> No idea. Just change it?
>>
> wall/write related.  I'm happy to change to your default.

Fine.

>> > groups
>> >
>> >   no cdrom group?
>> >   no scanner group?
>> >   no tape group?
>> >   no dialout group? - this may be Debianish, but we rely on it
>>
>> We do not want to put users in any such groups, but use dynamically
>> assigned and managed ACLs for it. We use groups only for easy setups of
>> system daemons like "video", for a streaming server and such. These
>> groups do not make much sense for Fedora or SUSE, and you may want
>> to put them in your own rules, in cases we don't find a common solution.
>>
> Agree, we can handle these in our own rules.

Cool.

Thanks,
Kay