Re: Help to create a rule for UDEV

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:36, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 00:25,  <janare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have 3 usb devices connected to my PC. All of them are identical.
>>
>> Lets call them device1, device2 and device3
>>
>> They are beeing detected as ttyUSB0 (device1), ttyUSB1(device2) and
>> ttyUSB2(device3), which is exactly what I want.
>>
>> The only problem is that when I restart, they often get mixed, and detected
>> ttyUSB0(device2), ttyUSB1(device3) and ttyUSB2(device1) or any other order.
>>
>> I can't create rules for these device from serialnumber, or other details
>> other than usb-connection port.
>
> There is no straight-forward solution, you could use just now. We will
> need to make "path_id" working for usb-serial devices, and create a
> bunch of udev rules, so that we create persistent links for serial
> devices based on the port the device is connected to. Just like we do
> for disks, video, input today:

> I will see what I can do.

I've committed /dev/serial/ links which should uniquely identify your
3 identical devices, if they are always connected to the same
controllers/hubs/ports:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commitdiff;h=bc4c751802147f1ff21bf52a57a2976754949453

If you have recent udev version, you can replace:
  /lib/udev/path_id
with:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob_plain;f=extras/path_id/path_id;h=f45f62ad32eb1cf0a57e96e1ff1b895d357c0dd8
and add: