Re: [RFC] network devices generating uevents?

On 11/22/2008 08:08:35 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 08:41, Stephen Hemminger
<shemminger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps the following would make it easier for applications to
> track network device events without having to use netlink.

These events can not happen at a high frequency, at any time, right?
We are sure that things like UP/DOWN/CHANGE can not happen at a high
frequency, maybe in some failure situation?

At _any_ time might be too strict a criteria.
You could certainly have a high rate of carrier acquire/loss
if, for example, the ethernet plug was not all the way plugged
in and there was vibration.  But of course you could get the
same thing with a usb mass storage device under the same
conditions so I'm not sure that this example crosses
the line.  I've seen strange things happen when cables
are laid in places where people walk over them.  (!)

Could there be a problem with rapid fluctuation of wireless
signal levels if, e.g., somebody's running a vacuum cleaner
nearby?

Karl <kop@xxxxxxxx>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein