Re: How to write rules for mtd based devices

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:12, Juergen Beisert <jbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> has anybody an idea how to write some rules to match devices from the mtd
> framework?
>
> All I get is:
> $ udevadm info -a -p /sys/block/mtdblock5
>
> Udevinfo starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
> walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
> found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
> A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
> and the attributes from one single parent device.
>
>  looking at device '/devices/virtual/block/mtdblock5':
>    KERNEL=="mtdblock5"
>    SUBSYSTEM=="block"
>    DRIVER==""
>    ATTR{range}=="1"
>    ATTR{removable}=="0"
>    ATTR{ro}=="0"
>    ATTR{size}=="1024"
>    ATTR{capability}=="10"
>    ATTR{stat}=="       0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0        0"
>
> And its mostly the same for all the other mtdblock devices.
>
> The other frameworks like SATA and USB providing much more information about
> their bus controllers and connected devices to find adequate matching rules.
> But mtd seems very uncommunicative, or do I query the wrong path to search for
> usefull rules to match?

Seems, there is not much you can do with the current information it
exposes. What is the hardware behind these mtd devices? Are these
devices show up somewhere in /sys/devices/, maybe as platform devices?
Then we could try to make the kernel use these as parents for the
block devices, so the block devices would not be "virtual".

For now you might need to live with the filesystem metadata
uuid/label, which work as usual for these devices, right?

Kay