Re: Report: Threaded udevd

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 15:10 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:

> == Justification for udev-exec ==
>
> External programs are run from a "udev-exec" subprocess.  This was
> measured as reducing the fork() overhead.  To reduce overheads further,
> it allowed me to use of vfork() without temporarily suspending all the
> threads.  The commands to run are passed over a unix datagram socket;
> pipes for stdout / stderr pipes are passed as ancillary data.  This
> udev-exec accounts for over half the code.  The message passing
> shouldn't impose too much overhead.  I think udev-exec should be used
> even if threading has been disabled, otherwise there would be too many
> ugly #ifdefs.

This sounds odd to me; udev-exec still needs to fork() for each child,
and there's a cost of passing the command over the socket -- so how is
this cheaper than just fork()ing inside udevd?

> udev-exec also avoids running external programs with extra file
> descriptors - the problem "close on exec" was designed to solve.  I
> don't think I could insist on a kernel recent enough to provide "close
> on exec" support.  Plus I don't think "close on exec" helps with pipes
> used to communicate with child processes.  Without this, the Ubuntu
> "watershed" command seemed to complain about extra file descriptors.

I see no problem with depending on the very latest kernels; using a
latest udev version goes hand-in-hand with using a latest kernel.

The pipe2() syscall allows you to specify flags for the returned file
descriptors:

	pipe2 (&fds, O_CLOEXEC)

> Lastly, udev-exec helped with implementing timeouts - event threads just
> call select() with a timeout, waiting to read the exitcode of the
> command from a pipe.  None of the wait() family of commands include a
> timeout.  alarm() wouldn't work because it's per-process.  Without
> udev-exec, I would have to create posix timers with callbacks to signal
> the correct thread - and disable SA_RESTART before waiting.

Ironically, I have a long-standing proposal to fix this ;)  I've just
got to get around to persuading a kernel developer to do it, or do it
myself.

The idea was you'd do:

  fd = waitfd (P_PID, pid, 0);

  FD_SET (fd, &readfds);

  select (fd + 1, &readfds, NULL, NULL, &timeout);

  read (fd, &siginfo, sizeof (struct siginfo_t));

ie. a version of waitid() that returns the data through a socket - then
all daemon main loop events could be done with select() [we already have
signalfd(), timerfd_*(), etc.)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant