Re: udev doesn't detect ddf-format raid array

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Peter <ple@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an adaptec hostraid controller (fakeraid) with 2 drives connected in a
> RAID1 array (metadata is in DDF format) which is nicely detected and enabled
> by dmraid, there is no problem with it after it's enabled.
>
> Recently debian's dmraid-booter has switched to use udev. But udev does not
> detect my drives as raid type, ID_FS_USAGE is missing from the drive info (it
> should be "raid"), so the result is that dmraid does not called at boot. Also
> vol_id sees the partitions as normal partitions.
>
> I've recognised that one of my disks has a HPA, the other hasn't. I'm not sure
> if this has any effect, but because of this, the DDF1-headers are not at the
> same position on the 2 drives.
>
> Below are some outputs. The last one is a 'dmraid -n' output, and what is
> strange for me at first sight is that both drives has 2 DDF1-headers. Is this
> normal? Or do you think I should try to rebuild the raid array with the bios
> utility (maybe after some bios upgrade)? Or is this rather an udev problem?

Likely, that volume_id needs a fix. I never really tested with a real
ddf volume.

What udev version are you running?

Is this an Adaptec controller?

Can you send me a copy of the sectors containing the ddf header? Along
with the exact dd commandline you used to extract it, so can copy it
to a drive and test it.

Thanks,
Kay