Re: udev-126 error: delete_path: rmdir(//dev) failed: Device or resource busy

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 07:49, Aras Vaichas <arasv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jan  1 01:04:04  daemon.err udevd-event[811]: delete_path: rmdir(//dev)
>> failed: Device or resource busy
>>
>> I can post the output of "udevd --debug" if it will help.
>>
>> My configuration of udevd is:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/
>
> Please read INSTALL.

I have read it, but obviously I've missed something. I'm not the first to
have done so.

see below:

>On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 06:50, Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The gentoo package now calls configure with these params:
>> --prefix=/ --includedir=/usr/include
>Huh? Why? Let prefix stay as usr, as usual, and set exec-prefix, as
>suggested in INSTALL. Just take a look at autogen.sh.
>Kay

Perhaps INSTALL needs to be written so it's a little clearer and a bit
more explicit?

For example, earlier today I found that the configure defaults put /dev in
/usr/local/dev which essentially killed my system because no /dev/ttyS0
was created and I couldn't log in. It was argued that this is good for
debugging udev. So the configure defaults are setup for debugging. OK,
fair enough.

I then set prefix to '/' and found that this put /dev where it should have
been.

So why doesn't the INSTALL file for --prefix say that this is also the
root location for "/dev"?

My point is, telling me to read INSTALL doesn't help if the document is
unclear.

Aras