generation of persistent network devices rules at install time

I have still not found a good solution to this problem, and it's not
practical anymore to emulate the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules logic
in a shell script.

Actually there are two slightly different scenarios in which I need to
generate these rules:
- when the package is installed on an already working system
- when the package is installed in a chroot

The first case is easier since there is a running udevd, and it could be
solved with some creativity by setting an environment variable in a
temporary rule file and checking it at the end of 75-p-n-g.r to stop
further processing of the rules (I do not want this process to wake up
anything else which may be triggered by uevents). But this is a corner
case since udev is installed by default on all Debian systems, and I
could as well ignore it.

I have no good idea about how to solve the second one since the system
already has a running udev process which I cannot mess with.

What do other distributions do?

--
ciao,
Marco