Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 125 release

Marco d'Itri wrote:
On Jul 29, David VomLehn <dvomlehn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I understand what is meant by "on-the-fly generated rules", these are not static and so don't belong under /etc. I think an FHS-conforming place for these would be under /var somewhere, such as /var/lib/udev.
/var may not be available yet when the files are needed, arguing to move
them there is pointless.
Also, they can be edited manually while /var data cannot.

I don't know of any problems with editing /var data manually, but your point about /var not being available early enough to run udev is certainly an important point to consider.

Note that embedded systems are not the only case where read-only root filesystems may arise. They are also used when your root filesystem is on a CDROM or DVD, or when you have a read-only root filesystem so you can network-mount it on multiple nodes. These cases influenced the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard people to make /etc read-only. So, I think that using /etc for "on-the-fly" generated udev rules is an issue in a number of situations.

This looks like it might be a chicken-and-egg issue, where you may need to run udev in order to be able to mount a writable filesystem in which to store rules used by udev. I'm no expert on udev and what drove the need for this feature, but is it possible that you wouldn't need to generate rules *on-the-fly* until after mounting /var? If that were the case, you could still put the generated rules there.

Another possibility is simply to add a /var/lib/udev directory to the directories in which rules may reside. If you have a read-only root filesystem, you'll just have to mount /var before you can generate your own rules.

- - - - - Cisco - - - - - This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.