Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 125 release

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:56 +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> On Montag, 21. Juli 2008, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Here comes a new udev version. Thanks to all who have contributed to
> > this release.
> >
> > The tarball can be found here:
> >   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/
> >
> Well, it is not yet there.

Should be there now. Sorry, forgot to copy it.

> > The development repository can be found here:
> >   http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=summary
> >
> > The ChangeLog can be found here:
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=Change
> >Log
> >

> > udev 125
> > ========
> > Bugfixes.
> >
> > Default udev rules, which are not supposed to be edited by the user, should
> > be placed in /lib/udev/rules.d/ now, to make it clear that they are private
> > to the udev package and will be replaced with an update. Udev will pick up
> > rule files from:
> >   /lib/udev/rules.d/  - default installed rules
> >   /etc/udev/rules.d/  - user rules + on-the-fly generated rules
> >   /dev/.udev/rules.d/ - temporary non-persistent rules created after bootup
> > It does not matter in which directory a rule file lives, all files are
> > sorted in lexical order.
> >

> And I wanted to ask the same question as Marco: Do distributions need to move
> these rules to /lib/udev/rules.d/ ?

No, but it's suggested that /etc will only contain stuff that can be
edited by users/admins. But everything will work the same way as before
if /lib/udev/rules.d/ is not used.

> We on gentoo do use /lib64/udev to be strict on systems using 32 and 64 bit
> libraries, so the rules end in /lib64/udev/rules.d if we choose this way.

/lib/udev/ is udev's private directory on _every_ system, as LSB
defines. There is no single library in /lib/udev/, the translation to
/lib64/udev/ is broken in exactly the same way you would introduce
/sbin64/udevd. I suggest you fix that, instead of trying to work around
the problems it creates.

Thanks,
Kay