Re: udev RUN+=: device but no partitions

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Dick Repasky <rrepasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I use udev to run a script when a usb disk device appears, the device file
> for the whole device is available in the script but device files for partitions
> on the device are not.
>
> Example: usb thumbdrive that appears as sdb and has one partition sdb1.
>
> Udev entry
>
> KERNEL=="sdb", RUN+="/usr/local/sbin/check-sdb"
>
> In check-sdb, if I run either "ls /dev/sdb*" or find /dev -name "sdb*", only
> /dev/sdb appears but not /dev/sdb1.  Is that behavior correct?  When the same
> script is run from the command-line, the partition device file appears.

You get separate events for the partitions, which you may want to hook
in, instead of expecting the partitions to be available when the disk
shows up.

In theory, the event for the disk is delayed until the partition table
is scanned and hte partitions are created. We changed that in the
kernel a while ago:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=d4d7e5dffc4844ef51fe11f497bd774c04413a00
Maybe that does not work for you for some reason.

Kay