[Hotplug_sig] Reminder Hotplug SIG Con Call for 10/11 11am Pacific

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 15:30 -0400, Silbermann, Martine wrote:
> * Memory hotplug common regressions - testing plan.
> Please take a few minutes to read the proposed testing plan (issued from
> the discussions we had in the last 2 meetings) and provide your
> comments/suggestions/additions either by mail or live during tomorrow's
> meeting.
> http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/planning/hotplug_memory_t
> est_plan_status.html

The description of the fragmentation tests looks a bit too complex to
me.  There are some less invasive

You measure slab fragmentation by looking at the first two columns
of /proc/slabinfo.  The first is the number of objects which have been
handed outside the slab.  The second is the number of objects that have
already have memory in the slab allocated to them, but have not been
allocated outside the slab cache itself.  The first column may never be
larger than the second.  The farther apart the values in the two
columns, the more slab fragmentation you have.

To measure fragmentation of the buddy allocator, you must use a
different method: look at /proc/buddyinfo.  The first column is the
number of (2^0 * PAGE_SIZE) pages available.  The second column is the
number of (2^1 * PAGE_SIZE) pages available.  These go all the way up to
MAX_ORDER-1.

You must force the system to free up as many pages as it can, then look
at buddyinfo again.  A perfectly non-fragmenting system will have no
column with a value of greater than 1.  Any column with a larger value
is an indicator of fragmentation.  Larger number is columns farther to
to the left indicate larger levels of fragmentation.

-- Dave