[Hotplug_sig] Updated plan - memory migration

I tried to capture what I heard today at the meeting
on memory migration.

http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/planning/testcase3_memory.txt

I also updated the plan matrix to point to it:
http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/planning/hotplug_memory_test_plan_status.html

Bryce, I'd appreciate your review to see if this
is the kind of description you requested in your
"lessoned learned" email.

Before I go on to memory add/remove, I had a few
questions as I wrote this out (and please excuse
my ignorance).

Assume we trigger a memory migration for a segment
in user space, and we have a (test) kernel module
looking at the behavior.

Is it possible that the memory segment does not migrate
to physical memory while the originating segment goes away,
i.e. the segment contents (or parts) are written to the
swap space?  Or is it possible that some pages get swapped
out quickly so by the time the kernel module looks at the
contents, they are not in physical memory?

And related to the above, could swapping behavior be
an indication of a problem, assuming that we take care
to have a small memory footprint capable of avoiding
swap altogether?

Finally, assuming we write a test kernel module, how
does it know what is target physical memory? Is the
target memory a contiguous memory location, or can it
be a bunch of randomly placed pages (possibly in swap,
see above) adding up to a memory segment?

--
Mary Edie Meredith
Initiative Manager