[Hotplug_sig] Memory hotplug testing plan

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 05:06:40PM -0400, Silbermann, Martine wrote:

> During our last con call we had an extended discussion on what should be
> tested for memory hot-add and hot-remove (that discussion will continue
> during the next con call). Mary took an AR to write up the outcome of
> that call and   to structure it into a testing plan. Here's a first
> draft of it:
> http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/planning/hotplug_memory_t
> est_plan_status.html
>
> Please review and submit your comments.

If there is a tool which can generate a dump of how everything is
ordered in memory, I think I could write a visualization tool for it.

Also, I suspect that we may need some mechanism for calculating degee of
fragmentation.  I recall that hard drive defragmenters for windows used
to tell you that you were 40% fragmented or whatever; I don't know what
that measure means, but apparently someone has thought of a heuristic
for doing that calculation.  We could use something like that.

Bryce