[Hotplug_sig] NFSv4 Testing Forecast/Roadmap

Hi all,

In order to try to organize the massive number of high priority testing
tasks in the Test Matrix, with help from Mary and Bull I've put together
a roadmap for testing activities.

Basically, I took the high priority testing items and put them into a
rough order with five milestones:

  Milestone 0:  Developer Testing Support
  Milestone 1:  Distro Quality Assurance
  Milestone 2:  Drill Down for One Use Case
  Milestone 3:  Enterprise Usability
  Milestone 4:  Enterprise Readiness

This ordering was chosen because I figured early on we should be focused
on activities that will give developers useful testing info during
development, then start shifting the focus to answering the question
"Is this stable enough to use?", and ultimately to demonstrate NFSv4 as
ready for the enterprise.

  http://developer.osdl.org/dev/nfsv4/wiki/index.php/Testing_forcast_roadmap

Don't take these as cast in stone; this is more of a prediction by the
testers of what they plan on doing.  This will be updated and reorganzed
as we go.

I've included the first milestone below FYI; you can find the rest at
the wiki link above.

Bryce

==Milestone 0:  Developer Testing Support==

These testing tasks seek to put into place tools and practices that will
help support development activities (including testing) on an ongoing
basis.

Functionality:
 I.B.1   [ ]  [OSDL]  Automate running applicable existing functionality
                      tests on codebase periodically:  cthon, pynfs,
                      iozone
 I.B.3   [X]  [OSDL]  Automate cross-compile testing for major platforms
                      on each NFSv4 patchset
 I.C.2   [ ]  [    ]  Test install on Fedora Core of NFSv4 server &
                      client, krb5, ldap, et al
 I.E.9   [ ]  [    ]  Verify ability to force operations (close files,
                      change states, unmount)
 I.G.5   [ ]  [Bull]  Test compilation and functionality on IA-64
 I.G.7   [ ]  [Bull]  Test compilation and functionality on PPC-64
 I.K.2   [ ]  [    ]  Check that NFS HOWTO is updated with sufficient
                      nfsv4 info

Interop:
 II.A.1  [ ]  [Bull]  Kerberos (MIT) - verify basic functionality.
 Mount
                      w/ krb5, etc.

Robustness:
 III.A.3 [ ]  [OSDL]  Run NFS server for 2 wks with random configuration
                      changes
 III.C.1 [ ]  [Bull]  Run LTP NFS fstress in a std config on each
 release

Performance:
 IV.A.1  [ ]  [Bull]  Time to perform sequence of unique read/write
                      operations
 IV.A.2  [ ]  [Bull]  Time to perform sequence of cacheable read/write
                      operations
 IV.F.4  [ ]  [    ]  Measure memory/network/CPU efficiency of client
 for
                      fixed workload
 IV.G.3  [ ]  [Bull]  Measure effects of scaling up number of
                      connections.  Measure number of mounts per second
                      on client and server.
 IV.J.2  [ ]  [Bull]  Measure performance when operating with Kerberos 5
                      integrity and privacy

Security:
 V.A.6   [ ]  [    ]  Audit the mountd code
 V.B.4   [ ]  [OSDL]  Run sparse as regression test periodically
 V.L.1   [ ]  [    ]  Ensure there is high level design documentation of
                      NFSv4 security
 V.L.2   [ ]  [    ]  Ensure there is inline documentation for security
                      related code in kernel
 V.L.3   [ ]  [    ]  Ensure there is inline documentation for GSS API
                      (libgssapi, librpcsecgss)

Misc:
 *       [ ]  [OSDL]  Establish bug tracking process for NFSv4