[Hotplug_sig] MINUTES for Hotplug SIG Con Call 11/02

Attendees:
Joel Schopp, IBM
Chris Johnson, SUN
Randall Loomis, Wind River
Ganesh, Wind River
Mary Edie Meredith, OSDL
Cliff White, OSDL
Martine Silbermann, HP

Status of memory hotplug regression testing:

	- Update on hardware availability:
Two systems have been shipped by IBM and arrived at OSDL's facility in
Portland.
AR: Mary will find out when the systems will be installed and made
available in the lab.
It is unclear if these systems will be used as project systems or
integrated in the STP, since there are 2 of them we might integrate 1
into STP and keep the other for development.

	- Update on engineering support:
Cliff White from OSDL has joined our group and has agreed to participate
in the testing effort. He'll help to scope out what the testing would
include, if/how it could be automated, how to modify currently used DB
tests in conjunction w/ hotplug memory tests so that memory remove/add
would be most meaningful.

	- Input on regression tests from hotplug list:
We are still waiting from feedback from some memory hotplug active
members on existing tests and scripts.
We also discussed the fact that even though hotplug remove does not work
at this point in time, there are enough intermediate results that should
be tested.

Martine has added Dave Hansen's latest patch to the PLM (Patch Lifecycle
Manager). Cross compilations showed a lot of FAILs for 2 reasons:
	- the baseline this patch was applied to also failed on some
architectures,
	- mostly there are many errors in the patch itself.
However the way PLM is designed it only gives the number of errors and
the name of the files the errors occurred in (there are no details like
error messages or line number the error occurred on).
We had a discussion leading to the conclusion that to take full
advantage of PLM we would need to have a "clean" baseline and a somewhat
clean reference patch. To achieve that we will need a few people (one
per architecture of interest would be great) to help in the clean-up
effort.
AR: Martine will send out mail to the memory hotplug list to explain the
goal, issues and ask for volunteers.

Status of documentation of CPU hotplug:
No new input on the doc status itself.
However we discussed the possibility of doing CPU hotplug regression
testing. While there aren't significant code changes in the CPU hotplug
code itself, some other code changes in particular to the scheduler seem
to often affect CPU hotplug. It was decided that regression testing of
CPU hotplug release candidates would be added to this SIG's chart.
AR: Mary will find out what scheduler benchmarks currently used in STP
could be useful.

Other topics:
	* Hotplug at the OpenHPI / OpenIPMI level.
We have a few members that are particularly interested in hotplug for
ATCA.
We discussed the possibility of starting an initiative within this SIG
to consider hotplug from an OpenHPI and OpenIPMI point of view.
AR: Martine to send mail to the HPI, IPMI, ATCA, CGL, DCL communities to
"poll" for interest (yes folks it's election season :-)

	* Joel Schopp proposed a BOF session at LinuxWorld Expo Boston
this February. The OSDL hotplug SIG will endorse it and actively
participate.

	* The DCL capability document doesn't currently have an entry
for Node Hotplug. After discussion it was decided that it should be a P1
and therefore needs a description.
AR: Martine to submit a draft for Node Hotplug entry in the DCL
capability document.

Next meeting:
November 16th, 2004 at 11:00am Pacific

Thanks for your participation.