[Hotplug_sig] Minutes for 10/05 con call

Attendees: Wind River , Stratus Technologies, HP, OSDL, SUN, Intel, Bull

Report on SAF/DCL/CGL meeting in Japan:
Martine reported that she made a short presentation of the hotplug SIG
at the Japan F2F. She got some feedback from DCL members reporting that
they'd get their hotplug engineers involved in the SIG. She also had a
1-on-1 with Yoshiya Eto from Fujitsu to discuss how the SIG could help
in memory hotplug regression testing for NUMA type of architecture.
Japan requested we meet at a time more convenient to them occasionally.
We decided to use the monthly DCL-J calls to discuss Hotplug status
rather as a first step.

Status of memory hotplug regression testing:
Mary reported that OSDL is expecting a hardware donation that would fit
the configuration requirements outlined by Joel. She explained that we
needed a commitment from someone in the SIG to select the appropriate
tests and explain the environment needed to run them.  To make them fit
in STP (Scalable Test Platform), someone from the OSDL lab will be
needed, as they are familiar with and understand the issues around STP.
AR: Martine has to get a list of tests that people currently use to do
memory regression testing and a short explanation of what part of the
code those tests exercise.

When we decide which tests should be integrated in the regression
testing we need to get commitment from the SIG people that understand
the tests to explain to OSDL how the tests work/ how to run them/how to
interpret the results. We'll also need to address the issue of debugging
the code when problems are found.

AR: Mary will find out if there's also a NUMA type system that could be
integrated in STP and used for regression testing.
AR: Mary to get OSDL.org resources to scope the effort for creating
tests on STP.

Status of documentation of CPU hotplug:
Martine is in the process of generating a document for CPU hotplug that
is geared to kernel developers (not user level). She's hoping to submit
a draft for review to this mailing list before the next meeting.

Other topics:
Windriver is looking at hotplug more at the system or IPMI services
layer rather than at the components layer. Martine suggested they
contact Tariq Shureih.

Martine J. Silbermann
Linux & Open Source Lab
Hewlett-Packard