[Hotplug_sig] Minutes from kickoff con call August 17th

Attendees:
Joel Schopp, IBM
Daniel Stengal, HP
Dayne Medlyn, HP
Lynn De La Torre, OSDL
Martine Silbermann, HP, Hotplug SIG Chairperson

Round table of participants to determine their area of interest and
experience in hotplug:

Joel : experience in CPU hotplug and currently actively working on
memory hotplug mostly for ppc64.
Daniel and Dayne work together on testing mostly in PCI I/0 hotplug
space.
Dayne: interested in finding out where the focus of the community is,
what projects are getting most attention.
Martine: joined half a dozen existing hotplug lists. Most activity
currently seems to be in memory hotplug.

Interaction with the community:
There was a mixed reaction from the community to the creation of the
SIG, from welcoming and supportive to quite negative. Negative reactions
seem to be due to the erroneous idea that SIG will try to take over
existing work.
Need to keep communication w/ community going and prove that we want to
help as opposed to lead.

Charter for the SIG:
We need to identify what areas need help, how we can support the
community and complete exiting efforts.
Identify priority areas for completion particularly if DCL specific.

Areas identified so far as needing help:
	- Documentation (as far as I can tell for all hotplug areas)
	- Regression testing - Joel agreed to help define a hardware
configuration to run regression tests on.
	- Determine current state-of-the-art of hotplug in all areas.
What has been implemented, what is stable, what has been extensively
tested, what is currently being worked on, what needs to be done to
complete the work.

Memory hotplug seems to be the area where most of the work is still
needed and extra resources would be welcome. As we start doing
regression testing and current status information gathering we will
identify at a more detailed level other specific needs.

Conference calls:
Every other week at 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern. May be occasional
early morning con call to accommodate Europe and Asia.

If you are interested in participating in these calls but couldn't
attend today's call because it conflicts with your existing schedule
please let me know and we'll try to accommodate as many participants as
possible.

Thanks - Martine