Re: OpenHarbors - Dynamic Tunneling of WPA over IP/L2TP

Linus Lüssing <linus.luessing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > It's been a while I've last been posting here. But wanted to share a
    > small project idea which has been on my mind for quite a while now,
    > especially for wireless community mesh networks like Freifunk, which
    > I'm now finally able to work on thanks to some nlnet funding:

    > https://nlnet.nl/project/OpenHarbors/
    > https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/open-mesh/wiki/OpenHarbors

    > The idea is to dynamically tunnel WPA frames over IP/L2TP to some
    > remote host based on the domain part / realm in the outer, unencrypted
    > identity in EAPoL. So basically moving the authenticator away from the
    > wireless AP to some remote site chosen by the user:

Radius already does this, and does it better.
And Radius v1.1 over TLS is a significantly better protocol than the NAT44
hostile MD5-authenticated thing of yore.    Take a page from eduroam.

L2TP is a disaster, requires IPsec transport mode to be secure.
Just don't.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [