Re: hostap option to use mbedtls (under development)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:51:25AM +0530, krishna t wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:47 AM krishna t <krish271828@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 2:48 AM <gs-lists-hostap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings!
> > >
> > > I am a lighttpd developer who has written TLS modules for lighttpd
> > > to support OpenSSL, mbed TLS, GnuTLS, WolfSSL, and NSS TLS libraries.
> > >
> > > I am in the process of porting hostap to have the option to use mbedtls
> > > in support of https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/10303
> > >
> > > development branch:
> > >   https://github.com/gstrauss/hostap/tree/mbedtls  (work in progress)
> > >
> > > My branch builds with mbedtls 2.27.0 or later, and also with mbedtls 3.x
> > >
> > > Please note: my effort here is independent from
> > >   https://www.spinics.net/lists/hostap/msg09799.html

krishna: Did you read the above from my post?  How did you miss that?

I saw your prior post and read the thread.  There were questions with
licensing and questions about the code cut-n-paste from stackoverflow.

> > Hi Glenn,
> >
> > I have already submitted a patch which is still under review here
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/hostap/msg09799.html. I am awaiting
> > Jouni's response
> > for my comment before submitting the next version.
> >
> > Please have a look

No, thank you, I won't be doing that.

After reading the discussion thread about the code cut-n-paste from
stackoverflow (and which was not well-written code, IMNSHO), I decided
that I would not use the patches you posted mixed from elsewhere [1]
(the license question) and then modified by you (the stackoverflow
cut-n-paste -- also a license question -- plus other modifications).

Instead, I used my own code from lighttpd [2] (BSD-3-Clause licensed) as
a starting point and implemented for mbedtls [3] the hostap interfaces
in hostap/src/crypto/crypto.h and hostap/src/crypto/tls.h so that the
code is written by me and released by me under the BSD-3-Clause license.

[1] (link from krishna's post)
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tree/master/components/wpa_supplicant

[2]
https://github.com/lighttpd/lighttpd1.4/blob/master/src/sys-crypto-md.h