Re: WPA3 SAE and FIPS 140-3

On 7/1/22 22:38, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022, achtol wrote:

Does this mean that WPA3 is incompatible with FIPS? That would be puzzling, when the arguably less secure WPA2 does not pose such a problem (only constraints on the length of SSID/passphrases).

Or, can it be claimed that these operations do not fulfill a security function? In which case, I believe, using a non-FIPS-approved algorithm is permitted.

Regardless of the reasoning employed (and hopefully it is the latter), your FIPS 140-3 crypto library is not going to be very helpful since it will refuse to work.  You would then need to find the necessary crypto algorithms independent of that library and add them in a non-conflicting way, much as hostapd/wpa_supplicant include a private implementation of MD5.

Bob
That's right. My plan would be to throw in custom implementations of these algorithms, for these two functions only. But to do that I need a justification for these exceptions, so that the FIPS status of the whole system is not questioned.