Re: hostapd tries to send invalid mgmt frames at startup

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 11:32:55PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-05-13 at 11:40 +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > I have configured hostapd to provide multiple SSIDs at one phy
> > interface. And on every hostapd startup I see in hostapd logs
> > following errors:
> >
> > May 13 09:20:30 turris hostapd: nl80211: Frame command failed: ret=-22 (Invalid argument) (freq=0 wait=0)
>
> It's not *really* invalid, at least per spec. It's trying to send a
> broadcast deauth frame for the new network it's about to start up.
>
> But the kernel doesn't initialize all the context and everything until
> it actually starts up, so it cannot do that yet and we get this result.
>
> I believe it's been this way for many years, and the only side effect is
> that print in the log ...

That's only one of these frames and not the particular one in this log.
The ones here a Probe Response frames that were attempted to be sent
during ACS channel survey since the driver managed to deliver Probe
Request frames to hostapd for processing. I'm not completely sure how
those frames could have passed the channel number validation check
against DS parameters when the local configuration is still
uninitialized (comparison against 0), but anyway, it looks like
something happened here to allow that or the DS parameters was not used
on the particular band. Anyway, I was able to reproduce this with
mac80211_hwsim as well.

I'll make hostapd drop these Management frames that might be received
during an ACS (or any other setup step before beaconing is started) to
get rid of these attempts to send a Probe Response frame too early. I'll
also move that broadcast Deauthentication frame so that it actually goes
out with drivers using nl80211.