troubleshoot wpa_supplicant on NetBSD

Trying to track down why I cannot connect to an access point that works
well with many other clients.

I am using NetBSD 8.0 on amd64 and NetBSD 9.0 on arm (Pinebook).

The NetBSD 9.0 wpa_supplicant won't connect to three different access
points I have tried. I can provide debugging for those later if
needed, but first trying to troubleshoot the NetBSD/amd64 system since
it can at least connect to some APs.

The NetBSD 8.0 wpa_supplicant 2.6 will connect to two access
points (the links are debug outputs and ifconfig outputs showing it
active).

pfsense 2.4.4 hotspot (FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p10 with Atheros 5418)
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.6-work.txt

Android phone hotspot (Blu Vivo Air LTE):
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.6-work-2.txt
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/ifconfig.output-1.txt

And wpa_supplicant 2.9 will connect to the pfsense AP.
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.9-work.txt
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/ifconfig.output-2.txt

(I didn't try the 2.9 for other working access point as I assume it
works.)

I am trying to track down why I cannot connect to a cheap Actiontec
MI424WR-GEN3I (firmware 40.22.3.3).

The 2.6 defconfig is at
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/external/bsd/wpa/dist/wpa_supplicant/defconfig?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

I built my own 2.9. I tried both using defconfig from Pkgsrc packaging
and then made my own:
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/defconfig-2.9.txt
(The commented out configs were because I didn't track down why didn't
compile on NetBSD like some used Linux-only headers.)
(I packaged wpa_supplicant for NetBSD pkgsrc years ago.)

I have a patch to build on NetBSD:
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/patch-ctrl_iface.c.txt

My debug outputs are at:
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.6-fail.txt
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.9-fail.txt
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.9-fail-2.txt
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/tmp-i68767v8t/debug-2.9-fail-3.txt

This junk access point has been used by probably over 70 different
diverse wireless clients and is used by at least ten different clients
reliably every day for years.

I am trying to track down why I cannot get this NetBSD client to connect
with it (but connects to other access points fine).

My NetBSD kernel tells me my interface is
iwn0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: vendor 8086 product 008a (rev. 0x34)
iwn0: interrupting at msi1 vec 0
iwn0: MIMO 1T2R, BGN, address ac:72:89:ec:3b:1e
iwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
iwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

Any ideas on debugging or suggestions would be appreciated.

Once I track that down I will next research why the NetBSD 9.0 on arm
(Pinebook) doesn't connect to any of the access points I tried. But
first there I need to try newer wpa_supplicant too.

Thank you,

Jeremy C. Reed