No association with no encryption

I have an application where the AP needs to broadcast information freely to clients without any pre-association. I'd use the beacons, but the wifi chips make that difficult.

I need to broadcast without encryption, but I don't want to have an open access point that could be a security problem. So I want to prevent clients from forming an association. Rather the client just sniffs for the right broadcast packet to get the information they need. This is somewhat the opposite problem from those who want encryption with no password.

Is it sufficient to set up hostapd with no WPA, but not run dnsmasq, and disallow routing at the AP? Or is there a clean way to set up the hostapd.conf to not encrypt but disallow associations, short of modifying the hostapd source code to disallow associations?

Thanks,

    Mary Ann