wpa_supplicant possible enhancement

Hi,
It seems wpa_supplicant does not take valid simulateneus wireless
interface combinations into consideration as a result it fails for
certain chipset. Below is the example and findings using intel 8265ngw
chipset and kernel 4.9 iwlwifi driver.

1) Open NetworkManager (using ubuntu 18.04), edit connection
2) create ad-hoc with manual ipv4 settings
3) click save, this will fail as wpa_supplicant is not able to
configure wlan0 interface as adhoc as my system has p2p-device
interface of the type 10 and for intel 8265 chip it is not valid
combinations to have ibss and p2p-device.
4) I tried to disable creation of p2p-device in wpa_supplicant by
adding p2p_disbaled=1 in the wpa_supplicant.conf but it fails, may be
there is a bug in the wpa_supplicant which does not honor that flag
5) If I complie wpa_supplicant with CONFIG_P2P disabled, adhoc mode
creation works

Because of above reason, I believe wpa_supplicant should implement
some mechanism to at least throw out meaningful error (right now it
just says device or resource is busy) saying that underlying chipset
does not support xx and yy modes together.

Best Regards,
Dipen Patel