Re: passphrase/psk in wps cred handling in hostapd and wpa_supplicant

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 08:53:16PM +0200, viktor babrian wrote:
> I see. Eventually I need to pass the passphrase in my case :|. I guess
> I will need to use hostapd then.

It would be fine for the core wpa_supplicant code to pass in both the
passphrase and PSK (if available) to the WPS module and then potentially
change the WPS implementation to have different rules on when to provide
the passphrase. Since I do not know what your use case is here for
needing the passphrase, I cannot recommend any specific rules for doing
such selection, though.

> In P2P cases, is there an ASCII passphrase specified? Temporary values
> aren't always psks?

Yes, the P2P GO is required to generate a passphrase and that passphrase
is required to be available from the GO for manual configuration of
non-P2P clients. However, there is no expectation of the passphrase
being exposed by the P2P clients in the group. Furthermore, the PSKs for
each P2P client in the group could be different (i.e., the passphrase
would be used only with non-P2P clients).