Re: FILS-FT working?

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 09:44:10AM -0700, James Prestwood wrote:
> I noticed this comment in the hwsim tests (test_fils.py):
>
> # FIX: FT-FILS-SHA256 does not currently work for FT protocol due to
> not
> # fully defined FT Reassociation Request/Response frame MIC use in FTE.
> # FT-EAP can be used to work around that in this test case to confirm
> the
> # FT key hierarchy was properly formed in the previous step.

That is an obsolete comment. This IEEE 802.11 standard issue has been
addressed in REVmd and the following test case (fils_and_ft_over_air) in
the file is actually going through the full test sequence. I just have
not yet had a chance to clean up the older fils_and_ft test case to see
if it should be removed completely or fixed to use the now functional FT
protocol sequence after FILS authentication.

> When testing FILS-FT, I was able to establish matching FT keys as
> hostapd, but when it came time to do the actual transition I get this
> when hostapd is processing my authentication frame:
>
> FT: No PMK-R1 available in local cache for the requested PMKR1Name
>
> It appears the PMKR1Name is being derived with a new R1KH that does not
> match the R1KH used in the initial mobility association using FILS. I
> know the above comment describes association, but if FILS-FT does not
> work at any level I would rather just put this on the back burner for
> now.

FILS-FT does work in the current snapshot and there has been successful
interoperability testing with other implementations.