Re: [openssl-tpm2-engine] [tpm2] Support for EAP-TLS with openssl TPM2 engine

On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 11:33 -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 10:50 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
[...]
> > > Although if you just wanted to use those keys with GnuTLS, you
> > > could have done that directly. I already ported it all except the
> > > new "importable" keys support.
> > >
> > > http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/openconnect.git/blob/HEAD:/g
> > > nutls_tpm2_ibm.c
> >
> > Well, you know, using engines with gnutls does mean we don't have
> > to write the same code twice over ...
>
> I'm not convinced that an OpenSSL ENGINE is the right form for
> implementing this kind of thing in the general case. PKCS#11 is much
> better as an existing portable standard, although it doesn't fit the
> TPMv2 usage model very well.

Actually, here I disagree: the faults in PKCS11 are why we have a
problem and a boat load of not quite functional solutions: it has no
key id API, so it can't take files, pkcs11: or any other URIs formats
as an argument for a key operation.  OpenSSL engines can do all of that
and as evidence, the seamless construction of both a tpm engine and a
p11-kit URI based engine.

> Even OpenSSL is moving away from ENGINEs to a different plugin
> mechanism.

I'm not averse.  My only objection is to the idea that the PKCS11 API
is better than the existing engine one; it's a more widely accepted
standard but it's not a better API.  Although, Engines are by no means
perfect as and API as our whining about the engine file selector
problem shows.  At least a newer plugin can finally solve the key
identification problem and I think it will fit seamlessly into my
current openssl-pkcs11-exporter.

James