[wpa-supplicant -2.7] BSSID is coming as 00:00:00:00:00.. after a failed ROAM attempt

Hi Team,

I am facing one intermittent small issue with wpa-supplicant during
the wpa_cli roam operation,

After triggering ROAM operation (wpa_cli ROAM ) to a specific
bssid(with same SSID and PSK), The re association got failed due to
"WPA: Failed to select WPA/RSN" error, Which means it didn't even send
any Authentication message to AP, and the previous connection with old
BSSID is still maintained Also I can able to connect to outside
network, But after this BSSID was set to 00:00:00:00:00 in wpa_cli
status command., Is this expected behavior. ??

Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00
freq=5805
ssid=my_ssid
id=1
mode=station
pairwise_cipher=CCMP
group_cipher=CCMP
key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=169.254.113.222
address=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x
uuid=amu_uuid
ieee80211ac=1

But I could see proper connection details in wpa_cli BSS Current
command which is still pointing to the previous BSSID since the ROAM
attempt got failed.

I tried to narrow down the issue and identified that this is due to
the memset in function sme_send_authentication() wpa_supplicant/sme.c
(Line Num 321) , Before going for a authentication the BSSID was set
to 0.

        bssid_changed = !is_zero_ether_addr(wpa_s->bssid);
        os_memset(wpa_s->bssid, 0, ETH_ALEN);
        os_memcpy(wpa_s->pending_bssid, bss->bssid, ETH_ALEN);

Even if the attempt is failed (Before sending the auth req and during
the creation of IE elements)it is not setting back to the previous
BSSID even though the connection is maintained.

So I just moved the place of memset to bit later part before sending
the Auth request and memset the BSSID only if all criterias are met.
Now it is keeping the BSSID as the previous bssid itself and
connection is maintained.

So Could somebody help me to understand whether it is a Bug from
wpa-supplicant or its an expected behavior. ? Or Any particular reason
to memset it before sending the auth request.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rahul Chandran R