Re: [RFC] tests: Switch default python version to 3

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 08:24:10PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-02-12 at 16:43 +0200, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be nicer to not require a specific version to be used, i.e.,
> > change that to "python" instead of "python3"?

> Well, for the most part, 'python' just points to 'python2' anyway, this
> was also codified in python:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
>
>  * for the time being, all distributions should ensure that python, if
>    installed, refers to the same target as python2, unless the user
>    deliberately overrides this or a virtual environment is active.
>  * however, end users should be aware that python refers to python3 on
>    at least Arch Linux (that change is what prompted the creation of
>    this PEP), so python should be used in the shebang line only for
>    scripts that are source compatible with both Python 2 and 3.

That PEP 394 looks a bit confusing.. The more formal part of it seems to
be targeting what distros are recommended to do and I would actually
make the interpretation of python starting to point to python3 once
distros decide to deprecate or drop python2. However, that formal part
did not say that nor did it give guidance to what the scripts.

The part marked clearly as not containing official recommendations did
discuss this topic from the script view point, though. It seemed to
imply that there might be justification to using python3 instead of
python to avoid issues if a new major version of python is released
(great.. not something I'd like to think about as an acceptable way of
updating a programming language). However, what is the status of
"Migration Notes" that are not official recommendation?

> I'm not sure why we should even bother supporting a language that's
> going to be EOLed in less than a year though :-)

We'll see how long distros decide to support python2 regardless of what
the upstream project does.

Just to be clear, I'm not strongly against the changes in this patch
(well, after some more testing and likely small changes to cover test
cases that do show some difference in behavior), but I still continue to
be against this concept of a programming language mandating each program
to explicitly select a specific version of the interpreter because the
language could not be updated in a manner that would remain compatible
with existing scripts.