Re: Scan trigger failed: ret=-22 (Invalid argument)

On 1/13/2019 9:07 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
Arend, did you see this? I just came across it due to the follow-up,
looks like I missed it over Christmas too :)

I did. Just did not get to looking into it.

I use wpa_supplicant in Debian GNU/Linux unstable.
I have stuck in a problem with wpa_supplicant 2.6. After upgrading
wpa_supplicant from 2.4 to 2.6 my laptop (MacBook Air with wifi chip
"Broadcom Limited BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
[14e4:43a0] (rev 03)",
with broadcom-sta's wl kernel module) fails to start scanning AP repeatedly
with the following (-ddd) messages:

broadcom-sta is fair game for breaking to me, but others will obviously
disagree ;-)

The broadcom-sta is no longer maintained. It exists to be provided to some laptop manufacturers, but has not been changed for quite a while now. So all bets are of. I considered keeping it compile and work against newer kernels on github or so, but have not done so yet and not sure I will given the amount of time I have for open-source related work these days.

It looks like the current wl kernel module does not accept a Probe Request
frame with at least some part of the Extended Capabilities element.

That's really strange, why would wl.ko code care about the extended
capabilities that are fully implemented by hostapd anyway?

Not sure either. The latest source I have here (broadcom-wl 6.30.223.271) shows that the cfg80211 .scan() callback does not even pass the IEs. Are you using a different version or are you using WEXT?

Regards,
Arend