Hostapd timeout length for response to first message of the 4 way handshake

Hostapd has a hardcoded timeout length for receiving the response to initial authentication message.

static const u32 eapol_key_timeout_first = 100; /* ms */ in wpa_auth.c

I have done a number of experiments testing the reliability of small soc devices connecting to wifi access points. My test system is Raspberry Pi Zero which is based on the Broadcom BCM2835 soc and BCM43438 wifi chips.

Using wpa_supplicant for WPA2-PSK support struggle to respond to reliably respond to the nonce within the 100 ms limit. I suspect this is at root of the numerous problem reported with wifi connections with these type of units.

Is this hardcoded limit part of some conformance protocol or could it made configurable?

Can this problem be attacked from the wpa_supplicant side? Maybe by optimisation of the processing path of the response, or moving the processing to a sudo realtime thread.

Comments welcome!

Including those pointing out what I have missed.

Roger