Bgscan/roaming suggestions for wpa_supplicant

I've noticed on both Android and on my NetworkManager controlled laptop
that roaming between APs is not working very well. I have had to
manually scan and switch an annoying amount of times throughout the
day. On my Android phone it does not switch until it is completely
disconnected from the internet, but that is probably the Android
projects fault for leaving bgscan unset. NetworkManager sets more
aggressive background roaming if the access point is using enterprise
authentication[1]. The network I'm connecting to uses many different
routers with the same SSID and no authentication, so this does not get
set for my use case. I was told by a user on the NetworkManager irc
that this problem would be better handled by wpa_supplicant. Some ideas
for improving the situation:

 * wpa_supplicant detects if there are multiple BSS's using the same
   SSID on scan (or maybe connection?) and exports some boolean or
   property based off of that, NetworkManager then sees that the
   connection is roaming and sets bgscan to its more aggressive value.
 * wpa_supplicant detects if there are multiple BSS's using the same
   SSID and then changes its roaming/bgscan settings to be more
   aggressive. This might be difficult because it would clash with
   whatever is configuring NetworkManagers choice of "bgscan." It
   probably would make sense to allow this detection to be turned off.

P.S: I'm 16 years old and have never used a mailing list before, please
feel free to tell me if I did something wrong.

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/supplicant/nm-supplicant-config.c?id=15857ad958fac0d6a641b049a75e32b24a60f01e#n593
--
 <bepvte@xxxxxxxxx>