Re: Sending third byte of the country string

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 08:36:24AM +0000, Bogdan-Eugen Cristea wrote:
> I am trying to configure hostapd daemon with the country code and the environment information (outdoor).
> I have noticed that in master branch country3 option is parsed correctly, but in
>
> wpa_driver_nl80211_set_country()
>
> function the third byte is set to 0, so actually it is not send to the kernel.

The related nl80211 attribute NL80211_ATTR_REG_ALPHA2 is defined as the
two character country code and as such, the third octet of the country
code information is not used there.

> So I would like to know if hostapd has actually support for the third byte of the country code and if not how it can be send to the kernel.

hostapd supports using the third octet when generating the Country
element for Beacon and Probe Response frames, but this octet is not send
to the kernel separately since there is no existing kernel interface for
doing so. Anyway, drivers that use hostapd Beacon/Probe Response frame
template do get the full three octet value for those frames.