Re: hostap response to DFS 'radar detected' events - channel recovery

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed some behavior on my LEDE powered Linksys router
> regarding the response to DFS 'radar detected' events when a DFS
> channel has been manually selected for a 5GHz radio (i.e. non-ACS).
>
> hostap is correctly responding and immediately switching to a
> different channel.  However it then stays on this alternate channel
> indefinitely.
>
> This causes issues when the alternate channel selected by hostapd is a
> congested 5Ghz channel, resulting in poorer performance for clients.
> From my understanding of the IEEE guidelines for DFS, the channel
> change is only supposed to be temporary and after the DFS NOP
> (non-occupancy) period has expired, which is typically 30 minutes, the
> radio is permitted to switch back to the originally configured channel
> if no further radar is detected for 60 seconds.
>
> Seemingly right now the only way to 'fix' this channel change back to
> the original channel is to manually restart hostapd with the original
> settings again.

You should/can write an application that will do that via hostapd_cli and
chan_switch (should be able to start CAC again, if not you can easy
fix it).

Why application:
- will monitor events from hostapd_cli monitor
- why back to the same dfs channel, maybe better use another DFS?
- application can check surveys and decide what channel will be the best
- anyway you need also disconnect 5GHz clients because of CAC
- you can start global instance of hostapd and
configure/enable/disable bss via hostapd_cli

So, some kind of manager would be best here - will decide what to do.

> Could a feature be added to allow hostap to automatically switch back
> to the configured channel after the NOP period has expired?  The
> trade-off here is that this action requires another 60 second DFS
> scan, resulting in radio down-time, so this ideally would be
> selectable in the config.

This is also possible and probably will be easy to do (conf param),
but question when to do that?
Wait for no-station connected? This could be one of the solutions ...

BR
Janusz
> Thanks,
> Seb