hwsim, what is the purpose of it?

Hello, I am interested in the use of hwsim in hostap development.
How do you use it in general, what do you test with it? I've heard about
scapy toolkit that allows to work with traffic, particilarly easily modify
or create various headers and the content of message itself. Do you use it
as well?

I'd appreciate any link except the source code itself, since unable to
read it at the time.

I've tried to play with EAP state machines by modifying eap_example code,
but it takes some time and I were have to read a relevant implementation to
understand the actual logic, since it differs from RFCs.

best regards,
Siarhei