Why not Yahoo/Apache Zookeeper? Serialization format?

The hail project seems very interesting. Two quick questions:

a) Was Yahoo Zookeeper considered instead of reimplementing these ideas as CLD? Was it discarded for some reason?

b) Has there been any consideration for re-using an existing serialization format (XDR, Thrift, Protocol Buffers, whatever)?

I'm just interested in why existing infrastructure may be inappropriate for Hail. Part of my motivation is that I hope to see some "consolidation" in this space: I would like there to be a small number (1 or 2) of various distributed systems infrastructure, so we might start to see some real "compatibility." Right now it seems as though everyone decides to build absolutely everything from scratch.

Thanks,

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones