Re: Hail usable as a "limited local AWS S3" and doc contribution?

Hi Pete and jeff,

Thanks for you two's replies.

> > While trying to find a less expensive way to validate my application
> > targeting AWS S3, I stumbled across Project Hail.
>
> I'm not sure if the assumptions are sound. The S3 is
> extremely cheap. For example, my personal use of it comes to less
> than a dollar a month.

For my own personal use, indeed that's the case.  However, S3's carries quite significant charges for HTTP PUT requests.  That's an area where I am trying to test thoroughly before testing it live against the AWS S3 itself.

[...]
> > 1. Am I correct in assuming that I can run all three components on
> > a single VPS with the resources outlined above?
>
> Yes.
>
> Two things you might want to keep in mind:
>
>  - The tabled's implementation is not the canon, S3 is. If the S3fox
>    fails with tabled but works with S3, it's likely a bug in tabled.
>    I fixed up quite a bunch of them when I started running Boto.
>
>    For example, parsing of arbitrary ACPs is absent and only canned
>    forms are supported for now.
>
>  - You're likely to run into bugs with stability, or something not
>    starting... I just barely have it all working. Don't trust tabled
>    with your backups just yet (I don't). Maybe in a few months.

Noted.  Thanks for the warning.

> > If yes to both, can you outline the steps that you would setup
> > the three components for such a purpose?
>
> I hope that tabled's setup.txt should be sufficient. CLD
> does not really need any setup, just an empty directory. Ask away if
> you have a specific question, no matter how detailed.

I have been tied up in this past week and half by routine workload (don't we all have such?).  I will try to squeeze sometime in the next week to see if I can make some headway.  Will keep the list posted.

Thanks,

--Zack