Re: Opening up Discourse for language bindings

Thanks for your patience; it took me a while to get around answering this email.

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 09:34, David Pirotte <david@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

> now that we've started migrating[0] GTK discussions from mailing lists over
> to Discourse[1], we'd like to do the same for discussions on GTK language
> bindings.
>
> For this reason we opened a new category:
>
>   https://discourse.gnome.org/c/platform/language-bindings
>
> There are a few language-specific tags already, but we're definitely open
> to adding more.
>
> There's currently no deadline to phase the language-specific mailing lists,
> but it would be great to get feedback from the current subscribers and
> decide for one. Feel free to reach out to me at:
>
>   ebassi@xxxxxxxxx

I hope it will never ever be phased out:

I honestly cannot guarantee that; if most of the GNOME mailing lists owners and users decide to move over to Discourse, keeping the infrastructure open for a couple of lists is not going to happen. Maintaining a mail server, and a listserv on top of that, is not "free", and it has become increasingly more expensive in terms of effort over the years. That's the whole reason why we wanted to find other platforms for discussions—and why we opted to do a trial run of Discourse.

We're still figuring out *if* and when we might phase out the GNOME mailing list infrastructure over to Discourse; GTK was the beta test, and we're moving permanently at the end of April. We've also been experimenting with moving more GTK-related infrastructure, like the meeting announcements and minutes, and even straw man proposals for features, off from the (ageing) wiki.gnome.org to Discourse.

It'd be great if more communities inside GNOME moved over alongside GTK, because it's easier to move topics around, split them, or mark them as resolved; but, again, there's no deadline.

please keep it alive and make sure that
all posted msg on discourse c/platform/language-bindings are automatically sent to
this ML and vis-e-versa ...

We cannot really do that. Maintaining two separate infrastructure splits the community, and doesn't solve the problem of having a mail and list servers.

You can use email to interact with Discourse; you don't really need to use the web interface.

(I don't even want to create an account on discourse)

You don't have to: you can use an existing single-sign on service, like Google or GitHub; or, if you have a GNOME LDAP account, you can use that.

We can look into adding more shared authentication services. We can even migrate existing mailman accounts to Discourse, if needed.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.