Re: Broken link in docs - GdkEventMask

On 2 November 2017 at 21:46, Daniel Kasak <d.j.kasak.dk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On the page: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#gtk-widget-add-events
>  ... the link for GdkEventMask points to:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/gdk4/gdk4-Events.html#GdkEventMask
> ... which doesn't exist.

Yes, that's a known gtk-doc issue with the developer.gnome.org
scripts; the actual page is:

  https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-Events.html#GdkEventMask

You probably want to install DevHelp and have the documentation
locally, instead of using the website.

> Could anyone point me to some docs that would help me understand what
> I pass to gtk_widget_add_events? I have some ( perl ) code that I was
> given in the gtk-perl list to add some events for catching mouse
> events:
>
> $drawing_area->add_events(0x004|0x100|0x200);

> This works, but:
>  a) I don't know where these values are coming from and what they are
>  b) I'd like to also catch mouse wheel events now
>
> Any tips?

This is a gtk-perl-list question, really. The Perl bindings for GLib
typically use strings, not an enumeration, for flags; see:

  http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/pod/Glib.html#PERL_VERSUS_C

the section about flags. So if you want to handle pointer events, you
want to use:

  [ "button-press-mask", "button-release-mask" ]

and if you want to get scrolling events, you want to add "scroll-mask"
and "smooth-scroll-mask".

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--