Re: Past and future evolution of Gtk+

On 09/18/2017 09:03 AM, Carsten Mattner wrote:
> Qt5 and GTK3 both seem to be very hard to write a Hello World
> X11 or Wayland window that uses less than 25MB to 30MB.
> This is something that can quickly become a problem and
> deal breaker if you want to run more than a few GUI applications.

Hardly.  People run a full Gnome (or Mate) desktop all the time with
lots of GTK apps running.  Similar for KDE and Qt apps.

You can't measure memory usage like that.  What Linux reports as the
memory used includes mapped files like shared libraries.  This isn't
real memory use in the sense you are thinking.  I can assure you that
ten hello world programs do not consume 300 MB of real memeory in total.