Re: Turn off GTK+ warnings

On 01/04/17 17:41, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-04-01 at 16:53 +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
>> How, as a user, do I go about silencing these warnings?
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to ignore such warnings as a user in
> general case. There may be very few warnings, for which it may be ok to
> ignore it. But generally, there is a reason why warnings are shown.
> Indicating that something is wrong, and the software may not work
> properly.
>
> I would very strong try to avoid software which continuesly emit
> warnings -- that may be an indication that the software is stale,
> nobody cares about it, so it may have dangerous (security) bugs.
>
> One example was indeed gvim, I have stopped using it.

Well, in my case it isn't `gvim` that's emitting the warnings, its GTK+.
 `gvim`'s (ab)use of the GTK+ library might be the underlying cause, but
GTK+ is what's polluting stderr.

> If you really need that software, you may contact its author or
> maintainers of your OS distribution, maybe it is a problem of the
> distribution, maybe they ship too old or incompatible libraries or are
> doing something just wrong.

Well as it happens, I do need GTK+, and hence, I believe this is the
mailing list for the authors of GTK+. :-)

> So we should be happy that these warnings are shown at all, it would be
> much worse when they are invisible or do not exist at all and software
> just malfunctions in rare cases.

I'm not saying to get rid of the warnings, to a developer, they are very
useful clues as to what might be wrong with an application.

For me as a user, they are useless junk that is cluttering up my
terminal session, pushing data I actually *do* care about off the
scrollback buffer and making my life harder.

In a perfect world, yes, code should not emit warnings.  This goes
equally for libraries like GTK+ as it does for gvim, gimp and anything
else that uses GTK+.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...