GTK Queue Draw Subtle Question

Gentle People:

I have a rather large project in progress based on the GTK2/Cairo packages.
Which brings me to the following question about gtk_widget_queue_draw:
For each Menu Function, meaning a C function, which is called by a menu event handle, in response to a Menu Selection. I place a gtk_widget_queue_draw at the end of the function to cause the screen to update in response to the command. Learned behavior from examples
and experience. This seems to work great.

Now the question: If the menu function is complex, requiring seconds or minutes to execute the screen freezes or if windows are moved fails to update and we are left with a default grey screen. Is there any way to cause a queue draw and screen up date from within this
long latency function.

My experience indicates that calling gtk_widget_queue_draw from within this long latency
function dose not cause a screen update.

Thomas Dineen