Re: gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new and gtk_file_chooser_native_new very slow on a Windows 10 64-bit PC

On 12/08/2016 10:24 AM, Ian Puleston wrote:
> Yep, this was it. I disabled the floppy drive in the BIOS as the poster
> there said he did, and the problem went away - now the file chooser dialogs
> open immediately. Also the first two paragraphs there almost exactly mirror
> the OS and hardware upgrades that I've done on my PC, including switching to
> SSDs, if that might be relevant.

So we know the cause of the problem, which is a timeout having to do
with enumerating a non-existent floppy device.  But the question is, why
does GTK exhibit this problem but other windows programs or frameworks
typically don't? Clearly GTK could be smarter about it and work properly
without having to disable anything in the computer's firmware.

So I would argue that GTK in fact has a bug in it.  We can swear it's
not GTK's problem because it's Windows' fault. Or the BIOS. But that
doesn't change the fact that GTK has the problem and other apps simply
don't.  Probably a low priority, but there must exist a method that will
get GTK the information it wants without hitting this call that is
causing the timeout.