Re: Gnome with high resolution display (4k, 27 inch)

Am Donnerstag, den 22.09.2016, 20:08 +0100 schrieb Andrea Giammarchi:
> Alternatively, you might try what's suggested in ArchLinux Wiki:

Yes, I found the ArchLinux tipps already.

export GDK_SCALE=2 seems to be the same as the window scaling in tweak
tool, and that scales the windows by factor two, which is OK for me.
But the top screen text and the icon text as shown by my provided
picture is not scaled and remains tiny, also mouse pointer. That is for
gnome 3.18, it may be different for other gnome versions. It may be
possible to tune the icon text, text on top of the screen and maybe
even scrollbar with css. But I found many posts of people with
problems, some sugested solutions, and some replies of people who wrote
that the suggested solutions does not work for them.

Have just found this

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2272686

this seems to work for the text at the top of the screen.

Yesterday I tried font scaling instead -- I think that works fine for
ALL gnome fonts, including the tiny ones on my picture. Unfortunately
some web pages use absolute sized fonts and elements, which is a
problem for gnome web browser. I consider firefox instead, which may
offer independant and not too bad scaling. But for that case at least
the too small scrollbars would remain.

An additional option would be xrandr scaling as suggested by Arch wiki,
but that is more a fine tuning, and I have not tested the impact on
image quality and cpu usage yet.

Do you know how an expression like

 export GDK_SCALE=2

can be applied permanentely? I tried it only in a shell and launched
gedit after that. I am using systemd.