Exposing cairo based implementation of CSS as an API in GTK+/gtkmm

Hello Gtk+ developers,
Gtk+ implements various CSS3 functionality so that widgets can be styled with CSS. As far as I understand these effects are implemented with cairo drawing API. Is there any chance to expose some of the effects such as blurred shadow, transitions etc. as generic functions in Gtk+ API so that they can be used without CSS? For example, if someone is doing some custom drawing with cairo on Gtk+ such as non rectangular widgets, curves with shadow etc. then they can take advantages of such API instead having to implement those effects with cairo themselves. For rectangular widgets StyleProvider's draw_background, draw_frame methods can be used to specify such effects in CSS, but for others I'm guessing they're probably not suitable. Libraries such as clutter expose similar kind of effects in its API but since Gtk+ uses cairo it'd be easier to add those effects to custom drawings based on cairo. I'm curious to know if developers have plans for such API.
Thanks.
Samik Ganguly