Re: loops and contexts

Also, worth differentiating between 1 main loop per thread + multiple threads, and multiple recursive main loops per thread.

Modal dialogs involve a recursive main loop, but it runs in the same thread as the normal main loop does (since it runs "inside" the "real" main loop).

An application like Ardour runs N main loops in N threads, with each thread dealing with a different type of event source. We do not multiplex the event sources into the normal main loop, because we do not want the GUI behaviour potentially interferred with by the demands of these other UI control systems. Not many applications require this design.