Re: GtkFrame looks different each time the program is started

On 23.03.2016 at 01:30 Allin Cottrell wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2016, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

>> On 22.03.2016 at 20:17 Göran Hasse wrote:

>>> Hello,

>>> Strange... You can test the behavior by changing the order
>>> the widget get realized.

>>> Instead of gtk_widget_show_all(window); at the end try to do gtk_widget_show(widget1);
>>> one at a time and in different order. This could give a clue... but maybe not...

>> Unfortunately, this isn't easily possible because the GUI is programmed
>> using wxWidgets...

> Well then, it's all over, isn't it?

Well, actually I was trying to fix it in wxWidgets but the problem is probably
not in wxWidgets but in the theme/engine. First, Emmanuele Bassi was right. This
isn't the "Adwaita" theme although that's what gsettings returned but the information
from gsettings is probably not reliable since I'm on KDE.

So I opened the KDE prefs for app appearance instead and saw that the GTK+
theme is actually set to oxygen-gtk which seems to be a theme/engine imitating the
Qt look.

Since I only ever get two different looks for GtkFrame with that oxygen-gtk
theme I suppose that the bug is in oxygen-gtk, not in gtk or wxWidgets. With
all other themes I tried I always get a consistent look of GtkFrame so I
suppose it's a bug in oxygen-gtk. Does this sound plausible to you GTK+ wizards?

I don't know very much about GTK+ but that's the only plausible explanation
I can come up with: oxygen-gtk probably tries to be very clever and comes
up with different looks for GtkFrame depending on the context but then somehow
gets things messed up so that apps always look different. From my observations,
the problem is especially related to tabbed pages. When the GtkFrames are on
a tab that is visible on program start, I usually get the first look whereas
GtkFrames on tab pages that are invisible on program start I usually get the
second look.... it really looks like an issue with oxygen-gtk to me. Do you
agree?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx