Re: Documentation inconsistency

I must agree with Paul here. Try to look at the documentation like this:

{The warning. Ignore it for now, but we will come back here soon}

The usage. This is how you can and should use the function. It states the behaviour of the function for pre-2.24 and post-2.32 versions. You must consider all if you want to support users with different versions of GLib available.

Now get back to the warning part.

If you are maintaining legacy code, read it. For you, it means that this function call should be removed from your code on the long run.

If you are writing new code, read it. For you, it means that you should not call this function, unless you want to support users with multiple versions of GLib.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well the trouble is that documentation gives incorrect information:
> First it says function is deprecated and then gives an impression it's
> OK to use it.

That's the impression you got. It isn't the impression I got.

The documentation has to cover the following cases:

   * someone new to GTK/glib, writing new code
   * someone new to GTK/glib, working on existing code that uses g_thread_init
   * someone with experience using GTK/glib and threads, writing new code
   * someone with experience using GTK/glib and threads, working on
existing code that uses g_thread_init

I think that the documentation covers all these cases reasonably well,
attempting to
make it clear that you should not use the function anymore, but if you
have existing code that calls it,
you should modify the way the function is called if you choose not to remove it.

It could be clearer, yes. But it isn't actually inconsistent.